Tuesday, July 20, 2004

Wasn't the end of The Amber Spyglass an anti-climax?

The boy and I were taking turns on reading Phillip Pullman's The Amber Spyglass, and I finished it the other evening.  I have to say that the ending was a little disappointing; there was quite a build-up and a witches' prophesy to fulfill, but what happened wasn't at all what I was looking forward to.  In fact, the ending to the His Dark Materials trilogy reminded me of the ending to the film The Fifth Element.  Like the movie, Pullman's story has a wildly imaginative setting and an interesting plot.  Like the movie, at least part of the ending made me think 'What??!?!?!'.....
 
Meanwhile, I've picked up The Girl from Purple Mountain (one of those memoirs of someone's grandmother in China who was unusually pretty and well-educated, and from a rich family - why has no-one written any stories about women from China who are actually representative of it's population i.e. illiterate, average-looking and dirt-poor?). 
 
I've also picked up A Magpie Stole My Heart, which is a collection of short stories and poems by graduates of the Whitireia creative writing programme (because a cousin and a friend have each contributed to it). 
 
And just to make my life even busier, I'm also about to start Vampire stories by Women; you can blame BtVS for my interest in vampires, witches and the occult.
 
That Management of Information Services reading is just going to have to wait...

2 comments:

Pickwick said...

This just a part of the beauty of books. They will always wait for you...

Violet said...

Well it would be if they weren't library books :-)