Saturday, July 31, 2004

Feng Shui my life

The boy is really keen on getting Broadband, which will mean much quicker Internet activity than the present dial-up situation (and in turn, will make it worth his while playing games on the Internet).  He's already installed a firewall on my computer - no doubt he already has one on his own - so the next step is deciding which package to sign up for, the 1G or the 5G.

There's a complication factor, though.  I use my dial-up Internet account on the library bus laptop, for my MLIS audioconference sessions.  If we switch to Broadband at home, then I'll be getting rid of my dial-up account.  Then I'll have to ask work to set up an Internet account, especially for me.  What if they do, and I find a dream job and leave?   I'd feel kinda guilty.  But I don't want to pay for two Internet accounts.

Then I remembered something else.  The other night we did a switcheroo between the old bus laptop and the new one (both on lease), and I forgot to get rid of my personal dial-up settings from the old one before it got sent away.

And I've realised what a security risk it is to leave one's personal dial-up settings on a fairly public laptop in the first place.  So I have to get the boy to show me how to put that stuff on disk instead.

In less than an hour, my life started to feel cluttered.  Oh for the days when I just used computers without worrying about viruses, ad-ware, identity-theft and all that.  Actually those were the days when I only used computers at work,  so the systems admin folk worried about it, not me.

I want life to be simpler again.  Tomorrow I'm going to clear out all the junk in my study, as well as the box of junk at the front of the hallway, and the pile of concrete bits from outside the front porch.  That should do it.


No comments: