Monday, May 03, 2010

Today the world is much noisier...

...because I got my ears syringed this afternoon.

Yucky yucky, you're saying to yourself. Well, yes the stuff that came out of my aural cavities did resemble worm casts (or miniscule poos). Better out than in, I say.

Suddenly I can hear whirrings and rustlings and whisperings and sound of my jeans brushing past each other at the thighs when I walk. TLM, who is normally just loud, is now head-splitting. And when the boy says naughty things whilst walking away (to test my hearing), I can react with mock shock at his dirty mind.

The nurse who performed the syringing - the evacuation, you might say - was lovely and completely un-freaked by the amount of stuff that squirted out. When she'd finished, she announced that she could see right into my ear canal.

"Right through to the other side?" I joked.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the idea of ear syringing. I wonder if I should have it. I've done ear candling a couple of times and have been fascinated by what comes out (and also how it works.. I still don't get it).

Deborah said...

Euuwww... TMI!

Violet said...

donnasoowho: that sounds vaguely familiar, but I can't remember what it entails. Probably nothing to do with turning ear wax into candles, is it?

Deborah: yeah a bit,eh?

Pollyanna_H said...

I think you'll find it's hookum Donna .......... basically what comes out is just smoke residue from the candle.

Watson Woodworth said...

Having had many ear infections (probably stemming from working a job that required ear plugs) I've had this done.
Not at all pleasant.

Angela said...

Glad you can hear now are you off to buy ear plugs?

Violet said...

Pollyanna_h - ah well, I bet it works on true believers though!

Nigel: it's not that comfortable, but far better than the lead-up, which is several days of using ear-wax dissolving drops that makes the stuff go all soft and find new places in one's ears to settle in.

Angela: nah, give me a couple of months and the ears will plug themselves up!