Monday, May 24, 2010

Believably busy

I suppose it's to be expected when you work for a non-profit organisation, but at work there's just far too much to be done and not enough person-hours in which to do it.

So when my mum gets a pay-immediately demand from the power company which whom she has a direct debit arrangement, and wants me to ring their call centre to sort it out, there's only one thing I can do.

"Mum, I'm so busy I haven't got time to piss!" I protest. 

And even though I'm saying this is in beginner's level Cantonese, I'm pretty sure that a born and bred home-villager would have said it the same way (but with added cussing).

But it's almost true, you know. And she believes me.

6 comments:

Antoinette said...

Wow, that is REALLY busy. Tough spot to be in, to have no flexibility over your workaday schedule.

Angela said...

It is a good thing people can't hold pee too long or we would weigh a ton in pee

Violet said...

Antoinette: well okay it was a slight exaggeration...but sometimes I'm so busy I forget to drink and then I realise I haven't been to the loo all day...so kinda the same...

Angela: good point. Liquid is pretty heavy. Bloatiness is bad enough when the culprit is gas!

Anonymous said...

Thank goodness my mum lives in another country!

LK said...

Just a thought but a lot of call centres have a few employees who double as translators. Our one does and our chinese lady in accounts is often visiting to help out. Is that worth asking?

Violet said...

tiki: thanks but we got it sorted. Nova Energy's on-hold time nowhere near as suicidally long as those for the big telecommunications firms (Telecom or TelstraClear).

Also, there is always the Citizen's Advice Bureau - they have CAB Language Link, which is basically help in 26 languages. Though I'd have to get the mother over to her nearest CAB...