Friday, September 08, 2006

Voracious eating

I tried to write this yesterday, but I've been having trouble with the Internet this week. It turns out that the (free) firewall I use, ZoneAlarm, sometimes goes a bit spastic and prevents the laptop from connecting to the ISP. And all the other times, the ISP is the problem - I can tell because when I try to ring the technical support line, I get a recorded message advising that I have a 25-minute wait to get a human being on the line.

So anyway.
The Little Madam really is making up for tummy bug time. Whilst sick, she barely ate and slept lots - 11 solid hours at night and several 1-2 hour naps during the day. Now that she's all better, she's whining for food every couple of hours during the day, and waking up desperately hungry during the night.

Just as an example, TLM ate 1 1/2 slices of wholewheat toast for breakfast this morning. And that's in additional to most of a small banana and half a pot of baby yoghurt. And two hours (and one failed nap attempt) later, she had three small sandwiches and a big drink of water. At this rate I'm pretty confident that she'll quickly regain that 1/2 - 3/4 kg that melted off her body when little was going in and tons was being spewed or egested out.

I hope it won't be long before she's all caloried up and able to eat and sleep more normally again. It was hard enough night-weaning her the first time around, and now I'm going to have to do it again. This weekend, I plan on cutting down to two daytime breastfeeds. I reckon it'll work much better if I'm not around her at midday, when she normally gets a breastfeed, so I've warned the boy that I'm going out around that time. I'm sure the boy has a sneaky feeling that it's just an excuse for guaranteed weekend baby-free time.

6 comments:

LK said...

Good way to organise lunch dates with friends, he'll never know..

Angela said...

I am so glad she is feeling better. Good luck on the baby boob free time. My son only wants to nurse three times a day, morning, noon and night. I think it is great. I know as soon as I try to take away the day feeding I will have my hands full. He is safe now though because he is only 11 months. After he turns one He will be down to two feedings a day, morning and night. I know it will be a fight though. He only wants it three times a day, but when he wants it he really wants it. Enjoy your baby free time.

Anonymous said...

Glad TLM is feeling better. And that you have figured out a sneaky way to dump her so you can go out..

Violet said...

nyx: yeah, except I've completely lost the ability to plan dates with my friends, after all this time.

angela: TLM has been on 3 per day only since a few weeks ago - before that she was still feeding at least once a night. I just want her to be boob-free as soon as poss, so that next time she gets sick I don't have to feel obliged to increase the boobfeeds again.

happyandblue2: I'm such a big softie, or else I'd have figured something out so much sooner...

Rainypete said...

It's almost frightening how much they can eat when they put their little tummies to it. Jakob's doing some growth spurt craziness becuase he eats like a homeless man at a buffet dinner!

glomgold said...

Hey, ZoneAlarm is great stuff! I blame the ISP.
Sounds like a pretty good breakfast she's got there.