Thursday, July 29, 2010

When I said we'd be sleeping on the side of the road, I was joking

Last night I checked my bank account and was disappointed at the measly funds held therein.
"Oh", I said, "I guess pay week must be next week not this week".
The boy looked at me in surprise.
"What, so, we have no money and we're just about to go on holiday?"
"Um...yes. We'll just have to put everything on plastic and worry about it later" I replied.

But I wasn't able to worry about it later. I started to worry about it right away. The worry wasn't so bad that it pushed out the earworm in my head (the theme song from Barbie - a mermaid tale), but it was bad enough that my mood the next morning was pretty grim.

I still had to pay our overdue car registration too.  And the phone and Internet bill was due while we would be away. And I only had a hundred bucks to last us until next Wednesday so maybe it was going to be a really short holiday.

Then one of my workmates reminded me that we get paid on Wednesday night, not Tuesday night.
Well, that could have saved me a heck of a lot of anxiety.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh dear Violet - I hope you'll enjoy your holiday (and not be sleeping by the side of the road). And that your cold is better too.

Watson Woodworth said...

Wow, I'd have been in a cold sweat.

Violet said...

donnasoowho: 'tis okay, because I did get paid last week after all - I just didn't know because I checked my account one day early.

nigel: I was, kinda.