Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Thankful for accidental protection

Last night the boy wanted to get some takeaways for dinner, so we had some lamb rogan josh delivered. But I'd had a couple of cream-filled brandy snaps (the boy does like to spoil me with yummy junk food), so I wasn't that hungry.

So I did the sensible thing, which was to eat half of my lamb rogan josh and pack the rest away for my lunch tomorrow. (Never mind that, an hour later, I was hungry again and munching on toast and leftover roti).

I put it in one of those sealable plastic boxes that takeaways come in, inside a supermarket bag for extra protection - so it wouldn't stain the inside of my nice work bag.

Only, when I took it out at lunchtime, I was horrified to discover that the oily brown sauce had leaked through the plastic bag. Oh no! I gingerly ran my hand over the lining of my bag, anticipating the slosh of grease on my fingers. But I didn't feel anything. So I shrugged, thanked the gods for small miracles and went to put my lunch in the microwave oven.

It wasn't until the end of the day, when I was reached into my bag for my spare packet of lozenges, that I noticed the discoloration on one side of the green Fisherman's Friend packet. It was slightly oily and golden brown colour.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's why you need (hee hee) tupperware. Cause it won't leak in your bag. Although my tupperware lunch container kind of does because over the years people have reheated things on high instead of medium so the seal isn't as good as it used to be. I had a piece of fruit go off in my handbag recently and I didn't notice and it went all squishy and ick. It was not a happy time.

Antoinette said...

Yes, what donnasoowho said! And I have stopped putting my containers in the microwave so they don't lose that seal. If I can't eat the meal cold, I put it on a plate and stick it in the microwave.

Violet said...

Ohhh...now I know why my plastic boxes keep buckling - I didn't know you were supposed to reheat at medium instead of high!