Sunday, April 05, 2009

The Fundraising Angel strikes again!

There I was, contentedly avoiding taking on voluntary work at The Little Madam's daycare centre, when **ring!** the leader of the fundraising team calls me up and asks me to take over organising our quiz night. As much as I wanted to no thanks, I'd rather spend my precious free time watching television or blogging or starting new sewing projects - I couldn't really.

It didn't start getting stressful until about a week before the big event, and we only had maybe 20 people sign up for it - out of a hoped-for 50 or 60. The fundraising team leader ended up moving things along at that point, which was a relief. I really prefer to work in a team, bouncing ideas of each other, that kind of thing - or else just being told what to do and getting it done. No leader am I. (Okay, and maybe I was a little slack because there is sooo much less pressure to fundraise at this place compared with TLM's last place.)

Anyway, it all turned out pretty well in the end. The bar where it was held, was really generous, the participating parents were relaxed and - importantly - knowledgeable, and no one minded too much when two of the big raffle prizes were won by the same woman.

The highlight, I guess, was when two teams tied for first place and it had to be resolved by a dance-off. You know that scene in of the early Desperate Housewives episodes where Lynette, who has recently returned to work, has to take her boss for a girls' night out and ends up naughty-dancing on a table? We had something like that last night (it wasn't me by the way - I was a sober driver).

6 comments:

Watson Woodworth said...

The sober ones get to do the most people watching.
And often free drinks.

Violet said...

nigel: it's a nice theory, but it was the drunk ones who laughed loudest and longest...

Dr Paul said...

Quizzes are great fundraisers. If you ever need any quiz quesitons in future: check out www.dpquiz.co.uk/free-quiz-questions

6000 free questions and counting.

How many folk did you get in the end?

Violet said...

Dr Paul: we did better than that - we know someone who knows someone who just loves putting quizzes together for fun.
We sold out - 56 tickets!

Desiree said...

Sorry I couldn't be there - you know how much I love to show off the stupid kernels of trivia I contain in (what's left of) my brain. Well done on selling out the tix! I'll give you my $20 when I see you for not turning up.

Violet said...

desiree: you don't have to do that Des. Just turn up to the next one :-)