Tuesday, April 07, 2009

So much for retail therapy...

With Daylight Saving ending over the weekend, I've been able to get in to work a little earlier than usual i.e. I had time for a proper lunch break. I had this plan to check out the half-price sale on sewing patterns and fabrics over at Arthur Toyes, or the new stock at Global Fabrics, or maybe even the full-price clothes at half a dozen of my favourite clothing shops around town.

But it was not to be, because when it comes down to it, I'm a lousy spender.

How I spend money follows this pattern - I get a pay rise or new job, and am flush with money. I continue to be careful with money for several months. Then something clicks in that part of my brain concerned with buying stuff, and I become comfortable with the idea of splurging. Then our financial situation changes and I have to cut back on spending. Only after I have endangered the household grocery bill several times, do I re-learn healthier spending habits.

Somehow, this cycle clashes violently with the sales, with the result that when there is a sale I don't want to buy anything, but after normal prices resume I am suddenly stricken with a desperate desire to buy a pair of black, knee-length riding boots or designer wrap dress.

Such is my version of consumerism.

4 comments:

Watson Woodworth said...

If only you could get yourself to feel boot-deprived during the sale.

Violet said...

Totally!

Anonymous said...

I've always felt as though I never earn enough money to be able to just wantonly buy fripperies (like clothes). And there always seem to be so many other priorities... i probably have less clothes now than I've ever had in my entire life... feel like I wear my 'Monday uniform' etc each week... and all hell breaks loose if I don't do my ironing cause I don't have any spare outfits to tide me over. SIGH.

Violet said...

donnasoowho: must be all those restaurant dinners of yours eh? I guess it depends on your taste. one of my work colleagues spend a couple of hundred bucks last weekend and got tons of stuff - but it was all el cheapo brand.