Saturday, December 06, 2008

I made that


It took me years to decide that I like the dress-over-trousers look. Here's a picture of me wearing my first sewing project in many years, a green-on-black tunic dress (i.e a mini dress which I will only ever wear with trousers). I've even reviewed it for the Pattern Review website (the link is over on the right - go and click on it to see my review of the sewing pattern).

Anyway, on the envelope it says One Hour Pattern in large, friendly letters. But trust me, it did not take me one hour. Actually, just hemming the dress took longer than that. I must be out of practice.

p.s. you can thank the boy for taking this photo in such a way that I look even shorter than I am.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

it probably means it will take you an hour to write the review. Congratulations on finishing something - I like the green!

Violet said...

Thanks, I'm quite partial to green myself. In all, I reckon I took about 5-6 hours to make this "easy" dress!

Anonymous said...

Noice! Love the material. I can't sew for toffee so good on yer for taking it up again. The one thing I can do is hemming, but given that most of the trousers I buy need about 6 inches turned up, and I don't have an overlocker, I usually get the experts to do it for me...

Watson Woodworth said...

That and that you appear to not go on above the nose.

May have taken more than an hour but think of how you'll get to wear it or others similar to it.

Violet said...

desiree: I don't have an overlocker either - I hemmed by hand (thats why it took an hour to hem...)

nigel: the facelessness was purely intentional. Best to just show the better bits.

Angela said...

It feels good to make something on your own.
I tend to think I look like a blob when I wear pants under dresses. Maybe if my boobs were a bit bigger it could work for me.

So what is your next project?

Violet said...

angela: I'm sure it depends on the cut of the dress and the trousers e.g. looking good in a loose dress over wide-leg trousers might be a challenge, but if either the dress or the trousers are close-fitting then you can look fine. I doubt that boobs have anything to do with it.

I've already started my next project - a pair of fitted trousers to wear with my new dress!