Saturday, December 20, 2008

I am not alone

Yesterday, I was the first to arrive at the pimp's Christmas lunch (oh, the embarrassment!). Eventually though, everyone else showed up, including a few people I was friendly with. So my fear of spending two hours shovelling food into my face because I'd no-one to talk to, was unfounded.

The interesting thing about this lunch, apart from the fact that the NZ CEO and the global boss both came over to say hi, was that the woman I sat next to has also worked with a woman-who-hates-her (not the same person as the-woman-who-hates-me).

I find it quite shocking really, because this firm's point of difference is their cosy, caring atmosphere. It's why having lunch with the NZ CEO is no big deal. They are nice. This is not the working environment for office politicking, and there definitely shouldn't be two cases of junior staff (albeit contractors) being bullied by insecure, passive-aggressive senior staff.

The two of bonded over our mis-treatment. We even swapped phone numbers. But...it's not really a good basis for a friendship is it?

The food was delicious.

9 comments:

Angela said...

Glad you found someone to commiserate with.

Anonymous said...

At least you had good food (the food at our party sucked). All good friendships have to start somewhere. Just make it that that's not all the friendships about?

Violet said...

angela: yeah, I felt better just knowing it wasn't just me.

donnasoowho: well she also has a 3-year-old daughter. But she has 3 other kids! I don't know how she finds the time to hold down a job...

Anonymous said...

Sure why not? What the heck IS a good basis for friendship? At least you've started your relationship on common ground, unlike the other woman. A few allies/friends in cahoots is good for morale...and plotting (heh!). Happy Xmas y'all!

Violet said...

desiree: you too!!

Watson Woodworth said...

I say get your allies wherever you can.
There are worse things to bond over than the jackassery of others.

Violet said...

nigel: I guess you're right eh?

Amanda said...

you are far from alone. FWIW I went to a presentation by Stats NZ about a recent working life survey they have done and the highest percentage who reported experiencing bullying and harassing in NZ where women in temporary contract positions. I think it was something like 1 in 10. Pretty sucky :(

Violet said...

mtnw: and the woman-who-hates-me is a permanent employee of the pimp. Well now it makes some sense.