Monday, July 21, 2008

Wedding wear sorted. I hope.


After a week of 2-hour lunches in which I hurried from one frock shop to another, and went through an entire collection of flouncy, floaty and entirely unflattering floral creations, I gave up on my hope of finding something suitable to wear to my mate's wedding.

Well, there was one really lovely dress I found - a long-sleeved wrap number, rather like a less cleavage-driven version of the classic Diane von Furstenburg wrap dress. But the scarlet dress was slightly too small, and the one that was the right size was almost menacing in it's blackness. So if I was looking for a sexy Goth look (and I know the boy would've been right into it), that would have been the perfect dress. But as I was actually looking for something festive, it wasn't.

So I decided to accept defeat and fall back on my trusty black-trousers-plus-really-nice-top combo. Which would have looked great, sure, but I'm oh-so-bored with that look now.

But wait, there's more. I just won an online bidding war (well, more of a scuffle really) on a lovely little dress which might just do the trick. (That's the one in the picture.) It is black, but with a colourful print all over.
I just hope it fits me when it arrives in the mail.

8 comments:

Kazzer said...

oh, that's pretty. Hope it fits. When is the wedding?

Anonymous said...

Ha that looks suspiciously like a dress my sister showed me on TradeMe recently. She's completely obsessed with buying clothes online and is constantly disappointed when things turn out to be 'Asian size'. Hopefully you won't have that problem. If it doesn't work out I noticed that (and this might be outside of your 'shopping sphere', but anyway...) Ezibuy has a nice range of clothes (by Grace someone) that's kind of 'occasion wear' and they look quite nice but not overly flouncy etc and best of all appear to be on sale at the moment... any worth checking out if you're so inclined.

Violet said...

kazzer: if it fits, then I've got some shoe-shopping to do. so if it doesn't, at least I won't have to do that :-)

donnasoowho: it's probably the same one 'cos I got it off TradeMe. The seller assured that, tho it's a size 10, it's more of a size 12. I guess I'll soon see whether she's fibbing...
I get the Ezibuy catalogues and there were some nice dresses they were all black - except for one bright red, clingy merino number. But I can't do with scratching myself all evening...

Anonymous said...

Noice! A little black dress with extras! Like I said, every girl has to have a little black dress in her wardrobe.

Re: the red merino number - you could get The Boy to scratch for you maybe? ;-)

It's nice to get a countdown to the wedding every night on the sports news - it helps me to realise I've got less time to panic...eek!

Let me know if you want to go shoe shopping!

Anonymous said...

hmmmm I think my sister (after having bought several too small dresses on Trademe) ended up buying an Ezibuy one that's gold? ish. But guessing it's ex summer stock or something cause was half price?

Violet said...

the bride: gosh you must be famous! Yep, if I need shoe shopping I'll call you and we'll do the No.1 Shoe Warehouse together :-)

donnasoowho: I don't do gold (not in clothing anyway) - it's too similar to beige, and when I wear beige it looks from a distance as though I'm naked with loose flappy skin.

Angela said...

very cool about winning. I always have trouble getting things that fit it seems as if nothing is ever the right size

Violet said...

angela: whether it fits is going to be a whole new adventure!