Wednesday, January 14, 2004

Hot, hot weather

It's really hot today. I don't know what the temperature is, probably in the mid-twenties (Celsius). That doesn't sound hot compared to, say, Prague at the height of summer (it was 41 degrees C when I was there once), but for the lower North Island it's STEAMING hot.

I'm doing a shift at the branch library this afternoon, and this building has no air-conditioning and no fans. I've opened a couple of windows, but there's very little breeze to blow in. Oh, if only I wasn't working, I could find a nice shady spot under some trees and actually enjoy the sunny-ness.

I shouldn't complain - we generally have disappointing summers. The weather here is so iffy that people actually remember back to that halcyon time (about 5 years ago) when we had two very nice summers in a row. I bet people in Hawaii or Queensland don't have thoughts like that.....

No comments: