Friday, October 02, 2009

We don't do Daylight Savings by halves...

...but we bluddy should.

Right up until the night of the changeover, I had been waking up half an hour earlier than normal i.e. 7am. This gave me time to get TLM and myself ready for the day and also half an hour to just hang out.

But last Monday, I suddenly had to get out of bed half an hour before I was awake. So all week I've been late in to work, and still can't get to the sleep at the new bedtime.

I propose that in future we do Daylight Savings in two phases - the first phase is at the beginning of October, when we move our clocks forward by thirty minutes only. The second phase is a few months in, when we move our clocks forward by another thirty minutes. Taking it slowly will decrease the amount of tiredness in the first week of each time change, and indirectly cause greater happiness for everyone. Well, for me anyway.

7 comments:

Amanda said...

You might be onto something.I've been tired all week and just fell asleep watching tv.

Watson Woodworth said...

Interesting. You know, there are a couple of time zones that are actually offset by half an hour.
Newfoundland, Canada is 1 1/2 hours ahead of Toronto.
That has to be kind of odd.

Anonymous said...

I hate daylight savings it starts TOO EARLY in the year and goes on ridiculously late. It should only be for about 6-8 weeks right during the height of summer when in holiday mode and I can't see why we all have to suffer to accommodate telecasting of sporting events overseas, etc etc.

It starts here this weekend so will be all horrible and dark again in the morning when I get up :-(

Angela said...

You know it is good I don't have a set schedule anymore, because I forgot completely about daylight savings. Thank goodness there are clocks that change ime themselves.


I think people have a hard enough time remembering one time change.

Your idea is a good one though

Violet said...

Do ya reckon there might be enough support for a referendum? I'd promise to word the question so that it actually makes sense...

Watson Woodworth said...

If you word things so they make sense you probably don't have a future as a legislator.

Violet said...

Nigel: you cynic, you!