Draic has invited me to take up the Ten things I've never done baton. Since I'm incapacitated with the snottiest cold I've had for quite a while, and I'm not likely to be doing anything exciting instead, I may as well run with it.
1. I've never watch a live rock concert from the shoulders of a boyfriend. This is kind of unfortunate, because I'm only five feet tall and fate always puts tall people with afros in front of me at concerts. That's why, when I went to see Prince in Edinburgh, I didn't actually get to see him.
2. I've never broken a bone, although I have suffered ankle sprains (from aerobics), severe bruising (from playing cricket) and knee problems (from playing Ultimate). If you've ever watched the tv show Kath and Kim, then you'll know what I mean when I say that this makes me sound worryingly like Sharon.
3. I've never been married. I do, very occassionally, give the boy a hard time about the fact that he still hasn't made any moves toward rectifying the situation; with a baby on the way though, it's hardly good timing for an ultimatum.
4. I've never been rollerblading. But I have been rollerskating, and managed not to sprain anything. I figure that I'm too old for learning skills which require balance, after unsuccessfully trying to learn to ride a pushbike at the age of twenty.
5. I've never bungy-jumped. Not that I'm scared of heights, but I am scared of my eyeballs popping out on the rebound.
6. I've never belly-danced in public. I was quite happy to dance at the classes (in my tracksuit pants), but when we had our end of year party at a local Turkish restaurant, I was one of the very few who didn't turn up with a spangly bra and shake my booty in front of strangers.
7. I've never seen myself on television. However, I have been caught onscreen during a news segment about student unemployment. I did wonder why there were so many bright lamps on in front of the job notices. Anyway, I do not have a television face, so I'm grateful I never saw myself - the pysychological damage would have required years of therapy.
8. I have never been mugged. When I was in Africa I kept meeting backpackers who'd been mugged in Johannesburg. By the time I got there myself, I was so paranoid I refused to leave the hostel after dark unless it was as part of a group. Well, that worked.
9. I have never given blood. The only time I tried to, I was refused because I was underweight (that was certainly a silver lining in the cloud!). Then I put on weight and couldn't give blood because I was always on medication for hayfever or something else. Now I can't give blood because I was in the UK during the Mad Cow years.
10. I have never been to a male strip revue. Somehow the hens nights I've been to weren't that kind of hens night. But I have had a male stripper at my birthday once. That was probably enough.