Tuesday, June 08, 2010

I'll be the one in the Pumpkin Patch scarf

So I bought a crochet hook and a ball of pinky purple (Pumpkin Patch colours!) yarn, with the idea of teaching TLM to crochet. Then it turns out that I cannot remember how to crochet. I can produce a simple chain, but that's it really.

However I can remember how to knit and purl. So TLM agreed that we should add that pinky purple acrylic yarn to the existing "stash" (i.e. one skein) of pinky purple bamboo yarn, which I'd bought to teach TLM to knit with (I had this idea that we would have one ball per project), and I'd knit the whole lot into something pinky purple and wearable.

Now, I haven't knitted since the 80's, which is the last time hand knitting was trendy (really - there were even television ads featuring himbos with knitting needles). But I do recall going to university in a hand-knit sweater dress from the House of Violet, and no-one fell over laughing at me.
And the upshot is that I have become hooked on knitting. I have been knitting every spare moment at home, since last Thursday. And now I'm inspired to knit up a storm in cotton and bamboo.

One ball of acrylic yarn and one skein of bamboo does not a scarf make. But it might be enough to make one those snug-fitting collar thingies. And I plan to put 2 buttons on it at differing widths, so that the pre-schooler and I and take turns wearing it.

10 comments:

LauraLili said...

You will want to check out www.knitty.com and www.ravelry.com

Happy knitting!

Anonymous said...

I got all 'knitty' a couple of years ago and knitted Ray a scarf, which he doesn't wear cause he reckons it's too scratchy (and prefers to wear the cashmere 'feel' scarf that he found on the ground outside our house one day, instead).

Violet said...

Laura: yes I will. Though I'm ambitious enough that I'd expect to make the sort of thing you produce :-)

donnasoowho: wow you guys find cool things on the ground! I think I'm going to have to stick to non-scratchy yarns too. What a pity they are so much more expensive than scratchy yarns.

Anonymous said...

I think 'finding' is one thing. It's quite another to actually pick the scarf up and bring it inside and then think perhaps that one might like to wear it (admittedly, he got it dry cleaned first). Apparently according to some crazy man logic he thought it belonged to a friend... who had visited our house about 2 weeks beforehand....

Desiree said...

I remember when going for my interview when applying to attend the computer course at Polytech eons ago that the Dean of our school asked if knitted. If I had said yes, (it transpired) he would have followed up with a series of questions to test my logic skills based on the art of knitting. When I replied that I didn't he was very suprised and a bit flumoxxed. Regardless, I was accepted. Not so surprising then that 90% of the girls attending the course did knit - in class and often.
Looking forward to seeing your new creations!

Violet said...

donnasoowho: well I guess it's okay if you believe it used to belong to someone you know...

desiree: that's a bit unexpected. I was told that they always ask whether you read science fiction.

Desiree said...

Dunno - it was a looooong time ago (mid 80's - eek, showing my age now). The chaps in the class were all asked if they did car maintenance. I don't think the Dean was the type to read sci-fi himself, but certainly of that age to show his stereotypical understanding of what boys and girls get up to in their spare time.

Violet said...

Oh, right. I thought maybe he asked the boys about knitting too. Interesting that he must have known enough about knitting to ask mathematicky questions about it!

Karen said...

You really have to get back into crochet - Google "amigurumi". You'll be hooked(ha ha).

Violet said...

karen: well first I'd have to learn to do something other than make a single chain...you do a bit of amigurumi-ing yourself, don't you?