Saturday, April 10, 2010

Real life window shopping

...is a way more difficult proposition.

It's easier to just not go near the shops in the first place. But I had some unexpected spare cash a few weeks ago and thought it wouldn't hurt to check out the second-hand shops (because that was all I could afford). I was quite sure I wouldn't find anything to buy, and I was right. But it was nice to have a reason to step in and have a look around, just in case.

So I then took the next step, which was to go into "normal" shops to window shop. I went into the Max shop, tried on a bunch of jeans, and found some I really liked. And I managed to walk out of there without spending a cent. 

A few days later, I went into Hurricane Jeans, which has the best customer service of any jeans shop I have ever been into. I tried on lots and lots of jeans, and found some I really really liked - Workshop skinnies with a high-ish muffin-busting waistline, dark (but not matt) grey-blue and more of a straight leg than a skinny. Even taking into account that fact that one of their mirrors was a slimming mirror, I was impressed.

Again, I left without buying anything. It helped that those Workshop jeans cost almost $200.
But there's a voice in my head that keeps telling me to go back and bring 'em home. I think I might just stay away from them shops for a wee bit longer...

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well done. I"m finding maternity clothes shopping strangely unattractive. I think half of it is that I can't be arsed actually having to try things on. But also think cause there are so many things that I could potentially buy I don't know where to start.

Antoinette said...

Sewing has made me a very picky clothes shopper. I won't buy anything anymore that doesn't fit perfectly unless the price is right to justify my time to alter, or the fabric is too special. Having said that, I have bought my last few jeans from the thrift store, and because of the variety of brands I can try on at once and I can't sew jeans myself yet. I'd be very tempted to buy the perfect pair of jeans as you described them, though, to me, $200 is A LOT of money for one pair of jeans.

Violet said...

donnasoowho: all you really need is a pair of jeans, trousers/skirt/dress to wear to work and tops that will let your tummy grow - and the latter don't have to be "maternity" clothes.

Violet said...

antoinette: I've gotten pickier about rtw clothes, but I'm too slow to actually make something for when I want to wear it. If it's something I really want I always end up buying buying it well before I get around to finishing the home-made version.

LK said...

That sounds like me and Borders on the weekend. I spent 3 hours there browsing and managed to leave without spending a cent but I keep thinking about those art books I liked...

Violet said...

Tiki: mmm...art books...they are horribly expensive, no doubt because of the high quality colour photos that would need to be in there. I prefer to go crazy in the library - it costs very little and I am restricted only by how much I can carry!