I have nearly finished a pair of curved-waistband trousers, in a stubby linen/cotton blend. These took way too long to fit, seeing as I based then on my curse-busting muslin (see earlier post). I bought three more lots of fabric to practice pants-fitting on: some non-stretch grey denim, some blue organic cotton and some navy poplin with tiny polka dots. It's fantastic that Spotlight is right next door to the Fabric Warehouse.
Going by the last two pairs I made, I've concluded that my main pants-fitting modifications should be:
- extra space on the inseam (for my generous inner thighs), just down to the knee
- less space on the outseam (for my stingy outer thighs), also down to the knee, and
- a deeper crotch curve (for my low-hanging bottom).
That's aside from the obvious shortening of the legs (which are so short they only come up to my knees).
Also - baste! Using thread in a contrasting colour! Definitely not using the thread you need for your final sew!
The next step up in trouser-making will be to add pockets with pocket stays (to keep my slightly protruding tummy from falling out).