Thursday, November 18, 2010

Whiffy and scratchy

Lately, because it is Spring I suppose, I've been really itchy all the time. Well, I am an eczema-sufferer so that's to be expected. But at the moment it's kinda out of control, in a way that makes a burqa seem like a really practical clothing choice.

I've tried taking antihistamines but most of them don't work - some of them make me dopey and drowsy, but none of them stops me from wanting to rip my skin off at inconvenient times of the day.

Tonight, after dinner, I took a tepid bath with a dose of Pinetarsol. On the bottle it says that it will calm and soothe irritated, inflamed skin. What it doesn't say is that it turns your bathwater the colour of stewed tea, and really, really stinks.

In fact, as soon as I lay down in it I started to feel ever-so-slightly ill. After I got out, I developed a headache.
And I'm still a bit itchy (though at least I don't feel like setting myself on fire so that's probably a plus).

So far, the most effective anti-itching thing I've tried is knitting. I just have to work out how to do that in my sleep.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i hate that - I don't get eczema (well I do but not bad), but when it's hayfever season I get really itchy in my elbow and knee joints. I found that using calamine lotion helped... although really only after I'd scratched myself and then made it into a rash. Weirdly though this year I don't seem to be affected by hayfever at all even though apparently it's a bad year for it. Wondering if maybe breastfeeding has something to do with it?

Violet said...

It's possible, or maybe you're now far too busy to notice! Or, maybe your diet etc are different now that you're breastfeeding?