Sunday, September 05, 2010

Left is left and right is right and never the twain shall match up

Since I re-started my cardigan project, using the latest knitting pattern, I have re-knitted the right front piece twice and the left front piece 2 1/5 times. I never could have predicted that I would have this much problem getting the two front pieces to match.

I mean, when it happened with the first cardigan knitting pattern I thought it was because I was knitting it sideways. But this one is more traditional i.e. one back piece, 2 front pieces and 2 sleeve pieces.  Meditative as knitting is, I lost my cool when I realised that I was in for yet another round of unravelling (thank the gods that the yarn seems to be very forgiving).

If I were to do it all again (and that's not out of the question), I would do both front pieces at the same time. It would require lots more concentration to make sure I increase, decrease, bind off and make buttonholes when they are due, but it would be the best way to ensure they end up the same size and shape (it worked when I tried this for the sleeves).

Maybe I should have stuck to knitting squares and rectangles for a bit longer...

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I admire your perseverance. I seem to recall I had the same problem one time I knitted a jersey (one arm longer than other for no apparent reason). Which is when I gave up on handicraftdom forever. Seems to have worked out quite well.

Antoinette said...

I know the basic knitting stitches but I don't think I have the personality to knit an entire garment. Good thing I love to sew...

Violet said...

If this had happened to a sewing project I probably would have given up on it. But I do like the act of knitting, and it's easy enough to re-use yarn just by unravelling it (which you can't do with fabrics that you've cut the wrong size or shap).

Angela said...

I like crocheting blankets for this reason. errors don't show up as easily.

Cathi said...

One answer might be to steek. What is steeking, I hear you ask. Steeking is where you knit nice evenly shaped pieces (typically the body of the sweater in the round without bothering about holes for sleeves or even the neck) then you sew around where you want the holes to be, then you ..... wait for it wait for it.... you have to be very brave....CUT THE HOLES OUT. The sewing holds the knitting together, and you have to do it with animal yarns not acrylics, and there's a bit more to it, but it does make the knitting easier if you're having trouble with shapes.

Violet said...

Angela: it's probably why a lot of sewers become quilters too!

Cathi: ah, so that's what steeking is! Why won't it work for acrylic yarn? Is it something to do with wool's felting ability?