Tuesday, November 05, 2019

It's the Judean People's Front vs the People's Front of Judea all over again

Today I went down to Parliament to support World Animal Protection in their stand for the Maui dolphins (of which there are only abut 50 left, from memory).

I walked down from work taking the usual path, which takes me onto the lawn via Parliament's carpark. In the distance I spotted a small group of folks holding placards, so I walked straight up to them.

Then I stopped because their placards all had the name "Julian Assange" them. Obviously there were two protests outside Parliament today.

So I tapped one of them on the shoulder asked where the dolphin protest was. That protester waved his hand over to another small group of folks holding placards, just on the other side of the steps. "It's a bit like the People's Front of Judea, isn't it?" I called out jokingly. They got the reference, because another one of them shouted in reply "I'm an individual!!".

The second lot of protesters seemed pleased to see me. They were only perhaps 5 people with placards to spare. They invited me to grab one that was lying on the grass and I did.

Then I noticed my placard had the word "methane" on it."Funny", I thought. "what's methane got to do with saving the dolphins from terrible fishing practices?". That's when I realised I was at a small climate change protest. How awkward. I apologised guiltily and asked them where the dolphin protest was. They pointed to a small group of people gathered quite a long way away, on the far side of the Parliament lawn.

And that's where I went.


No comments: