Monday, December 27, 2010

Christmas in a pagan/agnostic/Santa-ist household

I hope you've all had an enjoyable Christmas (or other appropriate holiday).

It was never a big-deal time of the year for me, growing up. Maybe it's because our mum didn't bother with presents or Christmas decorations, and I always had to spend hours writing polite cards to rellies in Hong Kong (or anyone else who sent us one - once we got a card from a 'relative' up the coast and to this day none of us know who on earth this person is).

'It's probably because your family isn't Christian', you might say. Well, that argument does have weight. Except my mum was reborn about ten years ago and the only thing that changed was that she started saying grace before meals.

Also, the boy is very big on Christmas and he's a pagan. Although, as a pagan he is at least highly aware of the various ancient religions whose festivals were usurped by the Christian one.

So ever since the boy has been in my life, Christmas has been a big deal. And ever since TLM was born Christmas has been a very big deal. In fact, TLM began searching for signs of Christmas months ago, and was the first to spot any pine tree, shiny bauble or red/green colour combo in any shop we visited.

TLM spent all Christmas morning unwrapping presents and trying them out. So far (partly due to crappy weather curtailing scooter practice) the one with the most play-time is the Harumika fashion design set. She got the starter set consisting of a mannequin, 3 pieces of punk-esque fabric, and a range of tiny accessories. I added a bunch of offcuts from my past dressmaking efforts.
Actually, I think I have probably played with it as much as she has...




...though the photos are of TLM's designs.
I just went to their website and there's a version with legs. I'll ask the boy to get me that one for my birthday.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love it!! Wish they had those when i was a kid. I used to make those dolls out of cardboard - and then you make clothes for them with tabs so they'll stay on, but that it so much better!

Watson Woodworth said...

Like the mannequin, like the swatches even more.
My sister and I are both nominally pagan/agnostic (I think about it a lot/she not much at all) but we both believe in keeping the spirits up, especially since our childhoods were kinda bleak.
I do think it's-as-good-a-time-as-any is a good enough reason to celebrate.

Violet said...

donnasoowho: yeah, I had one of those when I was a kid, and was going to get her one too - but yes this is far more clever.

nigel: Yep, I'm all for a good time, as long as no-one expects me to do all the cooking...

Determinist said...

Evidence for Christians usurping a pagan holiday isn't as abundant as you might think. I went digging last year and found very little.

There is "Sol Invictus" on the 25th, but please note that it came about in the 3rd century ()274), well after Christmas was established on the 25th. There is possibly evidence that it was established to usurp the Christian holiday at that time.

http://www.touchstonemag.com/archives/article.php?id=16-10-012-v

NOTE: I am also not a Christian and couldn't care less who usurped who. However, I would really like to know what actually happened - it isn't obvious at all.

Violet said...

...ooh - or Easter being based on the festival of Oester.

And the boy reliably tells me that Kwaanza, which is a post-Christian celebration by African Americans, is a good example of the continuing evolution of the Christmas-type festival.