Friday, September 11, 2009

Saving an egg from a pointless death

I have a problem with throwing away food, especially meat. As far as I'm concerned, some poor animal died so that someone could have steak/pie/meatloaf or whatever for dinner - so it seems wrong to discard perfectly edible meat (or let it go off and then have to discard it).

Plus, in good traditional Chinese fashion, I was raised to eat everything in my bowl (or on my plate) because there are starving people in the next village or whatever.

And that's why, when I bought a potato salad for lunch yesterday and then discovered it was dressed in eczema-exacerbating egg pieces, I ate it anyway. Though I did try to scrape off eggy-looking substances from my potato chunks first.

And then I spent the rest of the day being very very itchy.

8 comments:

Watson Woodworth said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Watson Woodworth said...

I've eaten terrible things to be polite but I try to draw the line before hand.
You'll never find me in a Greek or Mexican restaurant in the first place because there's nothing there I'll willingly eat.

Anonymous said...

Poor you allergic to egg. Because potato salad is not excellent without egg!

Antoinette said...

I am thinking about banishing egg, too. I don't think I really enjoy eating them anymore anyway. Need to replace the nutrients with something less... eggy.

Angela said...

I know quite a few people who won't eat egg. But I am sure it is much worse when you are itchy after.

Hopefully that doesn't happen again.

Smiles

Violet said...

Nigel: I love Greek food - but then, I've really only had souvlaki, spannekopita, baklava and Greek salad.

donnasoowho: neither is toast fingers dipped in poached egg...

Antoinette: if it weren't for the allergy, I would have only one problem with egg - battery farming.

Angela: it probably will, as every now and then I still forget to ask whether there's egg in whatever I'm thinking of ordering.

Watson Woodworth said...

My mother worked in Detroit's Greektown. I never inherited her love of Polish food either.

Desiree said...

I must admit I've never understood why, being Chinese, you are allergic to all things chicken (amongst other stuff) because we "usually" eat anything and everything. :) What a bummer - I had to subsist on chicken and fish for many years after dislocating my jaw eating a French roll (couldn't chew beef/pork), so just as well I'm not allergic. At least it's a good excuse to "politely" turn down eating chicken feet at yum char, eh?