Wednesday, August 11, 2004

the smell of roast pork buns

Every Sunday for the last couple of months, my mum has been supplying me with a bag of her own roast pork buns, made from her own recipe. They're really nice and they're filling, which makes them perfect for lunches at work.

The smell of them is distinctly noticeable when they're reheating in the microwave oven. My workmates are getting so used to the smell that I've been pressured to shout them some on my birthday. My birthday isn't for another two months, so if I keep some in the freezer every week I should have enough by then. This means I won't have to ask my mother to make some especially. This is important, because my mother doesn't make her roast pork buns for just anyone; for months after she first knew about my boyfriend, she gave me only a few at a time and instructed me to eat them at work so that he'd be denied access to them.

I suppose this makes sense if the act of feeding someone is an expression of love, eh?

Tama sent me this Guardian review of Flight of the Concords. They are a really fab and funny duo, and Jermaine has been recognised in one of the LOTR movies.

5 comments:

Casyn said...

Flight of the Concords are very good. They were on a stand up tv show here a number of times this year, and there wasn't one song I didn't laugh the whole way thru. I'd like to get hold of some of their music. Do they have any cds out?

Violet said...

I think they have a couple. The only one I know anything about is the one I bought after their last live show. It's called 'Folk the World Tour', which is a live album. It's really good.

Pickwick said...

I am totally with your mother on feeding someone as an act of love. I enjoy feeding people in general, and the desire to cook or not is often linked to my emotional state. To feed someone you love is divine. I don't know how I'd ever cope to love someone who didn't appreciate my food...

Violet said...

But would you be selective in whom you'll cook for, or would you cook for just anyone (is the word cookslut sufficiently descriptive without sounding offensive?)?
:-)

Pickwick said...

I differentiate between throwing ingredients together and 'cooking' - which follows planning, gathering, considering, savouring. Hopefully this saves me from being a cookslut:-)