Saturday, July 27, 2019

What I did for Plastic-free July

Not much actually, that I wasn't doing before:

  • Getting our dish detergent, laundry detergent and hair conditioner bottled refilled at a local Ecostore refill station.
  • Intercepting compostibles before the boy puts them in the rubbish and diverting them to the compost bin
  • putting empty, clean, bread bags (and other suitable plastic bags) in our reusable shopping bags so they can be used to hold fresh produce items.
  • emptying out our plastic-bag-lined indoor rubbish bins into the big rubbish bin (rather than lifting out the bags as well)
  • picking up bits of rubbish off the street and putting them into a nearby bin, if there is one.
  • avoiding buying stuff we don't need
  • eating vegan most breakfasts and lunches (the boy does the dinners and they are usually carnivorous)
  • Taking my own containers when I buy my lunch, or eating at the cafe instead of taking away
  • saving up for a set of period undies for TLM (who is not yet at the stage of needing them)
  • washing my face with bar cleanser
  • using cloth napkins instead of paper towels
  • trying to use handkerchiefs instead of paper tissues (unless I have a cold and need a LOT)
Next up I am deciding whether to replace disposable pens with pencils or with fountain pens and bottles of ink.

And I still haven't been able to satisfactorily replace my moisturisers with waste-free versions (as it's winter and my eczema-ry skin does best with the petroleum-based stuff with added urea). But I have had good results with basic mango butter + almond oil mixes which I buy in a glass jar. And I may try to do it myself so I don't end up with a ton of glass jars with plastic tops over time.
I also haven't had great luck with bar shampoo yet, but there are quite a few to try so it's only a matter of time (surely!).


1 comment:

Pollyanna_H said...

I'm nothing like as a good as you, but I am using a bar shampoo from Lush. It's sort of melted into the tin though, even though I'm leaving it outside the shower when it's not hairwashing day .... It seems to be working ok (she said cautiously).