Monday, August 27, 2007

Im a bad, bad mum

When TLM gets a little snotty around the nostrils, or becomes unable to keep down even a tiny bit of water, or can't sleep at night because she's burning up, I worry. Of course I do, because I don't want her to suffer and don't always know what's actually wrong with her.

If I were a better mum, that would be my only worry. But when TLM gets sick, often my first worry is that she's not going to be able to attend daycare, playgroup or other social event, because she's sick and possibly infectious. If she has to miss daycare, then I mourn for my child-free time - the only time I get to paint or write. If she has to miss playgroup or a playdate, that's the morning's toddler-entertainment gone.

So if, when I'm an old lady in need of company, grown-up TLM resents having to sit around the house all day making me cups of tea, I won't really have an excuse to grumble.

5 comments:

Angela said...

Luckily my son gets sick very rarely, but when playdates are cancled because of someother kid getting sick I get bumbed too. I would almost just rather expose him to it then to lose my social time. Most of the time he won't catch it anyway.

Violet said...

You're so lucky with Gregory's immune system. TLM seems to catch stuff even if she hasn't been anywhere near other kids for days. Perhaps the bugs are coming from the library books...

Anonymous said...

You are not a bad mother, you are a human mother and completely unfit to join the rest of us in the "Bad Mothers Club" who go to music festivals and have hangovers and stuff.... well once a year at least :) E.

Violet said...

eliza: I wouldn't mind some of that bad.nmohgy

Anonymous said...

Wot utter codswallop! IMHO you are a fab mum! It's only natural to fret about the cutest most gorgeous thing in your life. And it's great you worry about her spreading germies to other kiddlies - my sis gets mad when other mums aren't as considerate as you and her boy gets their germs. Grumble all you like when TLM gets older - by that time you'll have well and truly earned it (think what you have to look forward to - her first driving lesson, her first boyfriend, leaving home/coming back, having her own babies maybe?)!!!