Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Eyes as blue as a bottle of Bombay Sapphire...

Three main things I learned in tonight's short story writing class -

1. My first draft is not so much a short story, as a novel in 1700 words.

Apparently the plot holes in my story are merely a sign that I'm trying to fit too much in. The tutor suggested that I take one small portion my story and turn that into a short story. The portion she mentioned, in it's current form, only takes up a single paragraph, barely two sentences. Boy, have I got a lot of work to do before next Wednesday...

2. My metaphors and similes are about as fresh and effective as a sheet of single-ply toilet paper after a long night of beer and over-spiced curries.

3. I may be better suited to b-grade humour writing, than Katherine Mansfield-type of thing.

5 comments:

Angela said...

Writing is not easy. I like reading your little stories.

Kazzer said...

I like b-grade humour. Your writing is brilliant. Look how many people still follow your blog.

Violet said...

angela: writing is easy. Writing something that isn't rubbish is really hard :-)

kazzer: yeah there must be up to half a dozen people out there who intentionally read it ;-)

Leslie said...

Writing is NOT as easy as we'd all like to think. I think it's one of those thing you get better at with time. I've been writing since I was 11 and STILL have major plot holes, HA! So don't feel bad. You obviously have a lot of readers here that will love you for all time! Including me now!

Violet said...

leslie: "for all time" is a pretty major commitment, leslie. I'd be really damned flattered if it were true!