Sunday, July 22, 2018

My reversible Tamarack jacket

At the risk of going full-on Chinese grandma, I give you...

the reversible linen, cotton and bamboo Tamarack!

Linen side out. It's looking paunch, but only because I wanted to show you the big sewn-on snap buttons ok?

Some pocket detail, with sashiko-inspired hand stitching

Back view - to show some quilting detail




















Materials:

  • linen from The Fabric Store (colour Marsala)
  • cotton chambray from The Fabric Store (also used for the binding)
  • bamboo quilt batting (140gsm) from Spotlight
So the only synthetic component would be the (lots and lots of) polyester thread.
Modifications:

  • Made it reversible by binding all edges and replacing the welt pockets with patch pockets 
  • Made a straight size 12 instead of a 10 as I was using 2 layers of batting. 

Learnings:
  • Should have stayed with the size 10 and kept the shorter length of my test garment (a couple of inches shorter). This size is fine but it is voluminous.
  • Should have known to remove bulk from the seams. As it is, the underarms seams take up too much room to allow me to wear a big jumper underneath.
  • Did not consider that I would get bearding! On the linen side, bits of the batting work themselves to the surface of the garment and it looks like pilling (I pulled it all off before taking these photos). This only started happening when I had worn it a couple of times.

Cotton side out, the back view


    Cotton side out. I used a classic chambray, which gives me a double
    -denim look if I wear it with my jeans (so I don't)
    and pocket details for this side out

    1 comment:

    Pollyanna_H said...

    It's gorgeous Violet! You clever thing.