Thursday, September 11, 2008

Keeping my hand in

I haven't managed more than about two sentences of fiction writing, since I started working back in the end of April. Either my creative energy has run out, or I need lots of time to write (just like some artists need lots of laudanum).

But I still borrow short story collections from the library, and I usually get through half a dozen stories before it's time to return them. On the one hand, it feels like I'm still keeping a tenuous connection with my writing. On the other hand, coming across an amazing story just hammers home to me the huge gap between what's possible (from a good writer) and what's likely (from me).

Well, at least there's always the blog.

4 comments:

Watson Woodworth said...

Abandon works well.
I'm a fan.

Violet said...

"abandon" is one of my favourite words :-)

Angela said...

Work is draining
Yes the blog

Determinist said...

Authors writing great short stories are not that common, and even within their own bodies of work, the great short story is rare for almost all authors.

They are just like everyone else, but with lots of practice writing. The more they write, the more likely they are to turn out something good.

It's a law of averages really, with some other statistics on talent thrown in. Of course, you'll never know how talented you are without writing a lot - maybe that's what you want?