Friday, July 27, 2007

To party or not to party? That is the question...

In about two weeks time TLM will turn 2. I kinda want to have a birthday party, because it'll be fun for her and I'd like to return the favour to the kids whose parties we've been to.

But I kinda don't, because:
1. there's probably an 80% chance that one of us will be sick on the day,
2. it's going to be a lot of work and
3. it's going to be hard deciding who to invite and who not to.

In the old days, having a party was easy. Just ask everyone I know, assuming that about half of them will show up, and make sure there is plenty of chips'n'dips and very loud music. I didn't have to organise games because as long as there is alcohol and someone to talk to, you have as much entertainment as you need.

What to do, what to do...

6 comments:

Angela said...

I am trying to decide the same thing.

Amanda said...

Wow! Two already. I pretty much weaseled out of a second birthday party for Z. She didn't at that stage have any particular friends of her own- two year olds being more into parallel play than playing with others & she was too young to really know about birthdays. I invited a friend of mine who has a little girl over and made a cake with candles and got some streamers and a couple of balloons. And then sure enough the little girl I invited got sick & couldn't come so it was just us. I think Z had a great time though.

By her third birthday though she had best friends and a definite idea of what birthdays should involve so there was no getting out of it. And even though her fourth birthday is months away she has been planning it for ages. She was even talking about her fifth birthday party the other day.

So I would say if you think it's likely you will all be sick don't put too much stress on yourself. TLM will be happy with whatever you decide. By next birthday though she'll probably start to have definite views.

Amanda said...

And as you probably know at an intellectual level- the constant illness phase does pass eventually. When we went through it seemed to go on forever but now DOTH is three and a half & her immune system seems stronger and she is finally toilet trained- life suddenly seems to have gotten easier (touch wood).

Violet said...

Thanks for your input The few kids' parties I've witnessed so far have been largish affairs with lots of home-cooked food and games. But we've decided to go for a morning tea for 4 kids, with a few toys to play with and Wiggles music to dance to. I might even get a chance to play music I like too...

Kazzer said...

I've just been to JJs 2nd birthday party. She spent most of the time looking stunned and didn't much like the attention. She got heaps of pressies, so her family will now have to move house to fir them all in.
On the plus side, I always really liked your chip, dip n alcohol parties (even when we turned up a week early).

Violet said...

kazzer: grown-up parties are kinda the opposite to kids' parties aren't they? For grown-ups - less food, more alcohol, more guests and more single people. For kids - more food, no alcohol, fewer guests and few singles.