Saturday, October 01, 2005

A suprise visit from the poo fairy

My wrists are suffering terribly from Occupational Overuse Syndrome. My years as a computer programmer, followed by my current obsession with blogging, have resulted in horrible pains around the thumb joints every time I pick up my daughter or grasp anything. I'd planned to tell my doctor about it at the six week check-up; little did I know that the six week check-up is focussed solely on the baby and not the mother. The doctor did, however, find the time to advise that I go see a physiotherapist about getting some wrist splints.

It's damned difficult making an appointment when you don't know where your baby's going to be in her sleep-feed-poo cycle at any given time of any given day. Anyway, I made an appointment for yesterday afternoon.

As yesterday afternoon progressed, I realised that I was going to have to wake Baby up from one of her precious naps, in order to feed her before taking her with me to the appointment with physio. I roused her, fed her about half an hour before she'd normally be hungry, and bustled her into her carseat.

It's shocking how, in a short hour and a half, so much poo could be produced and distributed all over a small human's body.

I didn't even realise it had happened until I was just about to leave the physio's office, and was about to put Baby's little pink hoodie on for the homeward journey. I thought babies always complained when they had a wet or soiled nappy; not this one. Fortunately, the physio was very understanding about it, and let me use her room to do the nappy change.

After so many trips with Baby and baby bag, I finally got a chance to use the baby bag contents - all of them i.e. nappies, wipes, plastic disposal bags and complete change of outfit. I even had to dismantle the carseat upholstery so I could wash Baby's "contributions" from it.

9 comments:

Happy and Blue 2 said...

You should have just rinsed baby off in the therapy pool..

darth said...

i second allisons question!

and, that baby bag...just wait til she outgrows the need for it..you'll still constantly be reaching for it, you get so used to having it around! they are so handy.

Geekery said...

Baby poo..... I remember the days, actually had a pretty terrible experience with baby poo.....

Amanda said...

One good thing I found about persevering with getting some routine going with the naps was it eventually got easier to organise the day when there was some predictability.

The Skirt said...

Tee hee!

Sorry, it's puerile (should that be poo-rile?) but for some reason poo still makes me smile.

I think this is story #1 for her 21st birthday - or to ward off prospective boyfriends - "Did I tell you about the time she pooed everywhere?"!

Violet said...

happyandblue2: eeew!

allison and darth: when Baby has a photogenic moment it's too easy to just sit and bask in it instead of reaching for the camera, but I'll post some more soon.

onscreen: go on, tell us all about it

mtnw:I'm finding it hard enough to decide whether to start Baby's day at 7am or later. If it's later I get to put her to bed right after her feed and get myself some more sleep...

eb: It's called Sod's Law, apparently

skirt: I've already got her 21st in mind with the photos!

Geekery said...

Ok, if you insist. Daughter #1 was still a baby, we were in church, wife could smell bad things happening in the nappy. She turned to me, handed me the bub and smiled nicley. I carried bub and nappy bag out to the back room and proceeded to change very messy (runny poos) nappy, and put bub in spare set of clothes (thats how messy it was!). Went to toilet to wash hands. That's when I noticed my nice white t-shirt had an interesting (wet looking) brown pattern all over it. Bub must have leaked whist I was carrying her.

Went home, showered, complete change of cloths and got bakc to church with bub just in time for end of service. Wife didn;t even notice how long i was gone or that i was in totally different cloths.

Moral of the story - don't hug smelly bub's close while carry to appropriate nappy changing location.

glomgold said...

I hope never to encounter that fairy. I really don't want another with the tooth fairy either.

Violet said...

thanks for sharing, onscreen. I'm already onto that thing about not carrying pooey babies too close to one's chest!