Friday, December 05, 2003

As I mentioned in my first blog, I so enjoyed 'Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Philosophy:fear and trembling in Sunnydale' (Edited by James B. South), that I thought I'd try reading up more on philosophy.

I got 'Philosophy for Dummies', by Tom Morris, out of the library - its part of the '..for Dummies' series, if you hadn't guessed. It covers all the big questions - what do we know, what is the meaning of life, is there a god etc - in a way which is reasonably easy to understand and fairly entertaining to read. But the author does seem awfully keen to convince the gentle reader that there is a god. Maybe its just because I'm a literal-minded, pragmatic agnostic with a science background and I just don't want to hear about some divine being.

In contrast to Morris' book, I've so far found the arguments in 'The philosopher at the end of the universe: philosophy explained through science fiction films' by Mark Rowlands much easier to agree with. Perhaps thats really quite appropriate.

Like Morris, Rowlands also makes use of tongue-in-cheek humour to lighten the reading. Of course, Rowlands'���������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������

No comments: